Improving performance on Anglo American’s flagship copper mine project
Anglo American is in the early stages of developing a large greenfield open pit copper mine and associated infrastructure at Quellaveco, Southern Peru.
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- Mining and metals
- Main services:
- Cost and commercial management
About the programme
Mining companies undertaking new developments can face many challenges: massive capital spend, difficult terrain, differences in local cultures and the need to create sustainable value for the countries and communities they operate in, as well as for their businesses.
This flagship project is no different. It is located within the Peruvian Andes and, in addition to an access road, reservoir and port upgrade, requires a 7km tunnel to divert a river that runs through the valley containing the ore body.
We have been involved since 2010 and performed contract strategy, project delivery and assurance services on the project to drive better business outcomes throughout the project’s life cycle.
- 916 mega tonnes of reserves
- 28 year life of mine
- 15+ year relationship
Making the difference
- Reducing costs and improving performance: brought in during the feasibility study, our team was able to put controls in place from the outset that further reduced costs, improved project performance and helped the project to remain economically sustainable.
- Overcoming logistical challenges: using experience from past projects of a similar size and complexity, our team overcame significant logistical challenges, including working across the supply chain.
- Mobilising global expertise: our truly multinational team brought together some of our best experts from around the world to augment the capability provided by our Chilean office.