Black Rhino MOGS - Horn of Africa pipeline
Fuelling project success for vital Horn of Africa pipeline
Demand is growing in Ethiopia for refined oil products. To meet the pace of economic development, the Black Rhino MOGS joint venture is constructing a new multi-product fuel pipeline.
Completion date: Ongoing
Client type: Oil and gas
Key services: Project management, procurement
- 240,000 barrels of fuel transported daily when complete
- $1.55bn project value
- 500 tanker trucks taken off the roads
The 550km pipeline will transport diesel, gasoline and jet fuel from the Port of Djibouti to Awash in central Ethiopia. The challenge in delivering the project successfully lies in overcoming the logistical, infrastructural and regulatory issues presented on the Horn of Africa.
The 20inch steel pipeline will transport more than 240,000 barrels of fuel daily, greatly easing the current logistical– which requires 500 tanker trucks per day to travel along an 800 km, narrow two-lane highway.
We have been working on the project since inception as part of the client team, providing full project and management support services, and project controls.
“The short timeframe of five months was a challenge for the whole team that Turner & Townsend took within their stride, providing expertise at the right level to achieve the desired outcomes. We look forward to implementing this exciting project with Turner & Townsend as our project controls team.”
Making the difference
- Cross-border project set up: bringing together local knowledge and experience of African cross-territory programmes to manage the complexity that a project spanning two countries brings.
- Confidence and control: planning for the unexpected with robust project controls and risk management.
- Driving value: safeguarding project value by helping to establish a robust procurement strategy and by enabling informed key decision-making through best practice reporting.