Waves Fitness and Aquatic Centre Redevelopment, Greater Western Sydney
Redeveloping a 51-year-old aquatic centre to transform into a social and recreational hub for the local community.
The Hills Shire Council, in the Greater Western Sydney region, is seeking to deliver the redevelopment of its 51-year-old aquatic centre – the Waves Fitness & Aquatic Centre, the only public pool in the area. Once complete, the new facility will serve as a social and recreational hub for the local community.
Location: Great Western Sydney
Date started: 2019
Completion date: 2022
Client type: Sports, leisure and lifestyle
Key services: Project management
The current endorsed scope of work involves complete demolition/removal and delivery of a new complex.
When complete, this $55 million aquatic centre will offer locals a FINA-approved 50-metre, 10-lane Olympic swimming pool, a 25-metre indoor learn-to-swim pool, a 20-metre warm water pool, gym and fitness centre, spa and sauna facilities, in addition to a new reception, retail facilities, off-street parking and clubhouse.
As well as an exceptional facility, the Hills Shire Council estimates the redevelopment will create 170 jobs during construction and over 40 full-time operational jobs once complete, making this project a source of economic stimulus throughout the community.
The project vision is to provide The Hills Shire Council with a well-planned, well-designed, and well-constructed aquatic centre that provides suitable opportunity for the community to participate in a range of appropriate aquatic activities and leisure facilities.
We have been engaged to project manage the design, procurement and construction phases of the project.
We are responsible for ensuring the Lead Design Consultant and the Design & Construct Contractor effectively design and deliver the project in line with The Hills Shire Council project vision and values.
Our key deliverables include management of the design process, managing procurement activities, contract administration and superintendence.
Making the difference
- As The Hills Shire Council have publicised a closing date for the current facility, we are working to ensure design, procurement and construction activities are managed efficiently and effectively to ensure the dates are achieved.
- Given the timing, project size and the funding requirements by The Hill Shire Council, we worked with Council to ensure the most appropriate procurement strategy and procurement process.
- Supported the client in delivering the Development Application submission to tight timeframes.
- Ensured that the completion of design and procurement occurred on an accelerated timeframe
- Regularly collaborate with interstate aquatic centre project teams, ensuring knowledge and learnings from other projects are utilised on the Waves Fitness & Aquatic Centre Redevelopment.