Reworking commercial control for a major chemical plant
The chemical plant at Monthey is one of Syngenta’s largest production and formulation, filling and packing (FF&P) facilities. A significant annual investment is made on capital projects to meet customer demand for new products and increased volumes of existing products.
With the level of capital investment increasing to support Syngenta’s growing business, an urgent need was identified to overhaul the existing approach to commercial control which was no longer fit-for-purpose.
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- Main services:
- Cost and commercial management
Turner & Townsend reviewed the existing processes and identified the need for:
- effective budget setting and control
- standardised project cost reporting
- valuation and payment controls
- value of work done tracking and accruals processes
- cultural change to centralise project controls support
Turner & Townsend established a co-located team to systematically implement these recommendations – focussing initially on quick wins such as cost reporting and payment controls.
Making the difference
We have since worked with Syngenta to develop a strategy for improvement and establish business priorities. A suite of innovative commercial control processes, supported by tools and systems, have added significant value to the capital programme.
The benefits we delivered on this commission to date include:
- cost savings across the programme
- leaner more effective cost control
- protection of annual budget allocation to the Monthey facility
- improved project closure and asset activation
- embedded cultural change in Syngenta’s capital project delivery teams
We have subsequently applied these improved project controls tools and processes to major Syngenta production and supply projects in Hungary and Switzerland.