Shams 1 - 100MW Concentrated Solar Plant
Redefining solar power capabilities with a one-of-a-kind CSP plant
The Shams 1 hybrid solar power station is the first of its kind in the Middle East, using natural gas along with solar power to enhance its capabilities.
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Date started: 2011
Completion date: 2012
About the programme
A wholly-owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Government-owned Mubadala Development Company, Masdar is guided by Abu Dhabi Economic Vision for 2030, a comprehensive plan to drive new sources of income for the Emirate as well as strengthening Abu Dhabi’s knowledge-based economic sectors. The programme includes a strategic commitment to pursue sustainable development.
With this end in mind, Shams 1, a hybrid solar power station near Abu Dhabi has been developed, built, operated and maintained as a joint venture between Masdar (60%), Total (20%) and Abengoa Solar (20%) under the special purpose vehicle Shams Power Company. One of the world's largest parabolic trough power stations, the development is unique in the sector due to the innovative technology it uses to operate in harsh environmental conditions and respond to challenges from high-velocity winds, sand, and water scarcity.
- 2.5km² plant area
- 768 parabolic trough collectors
- 100 MW generation capacity
- 175,000 tonnes Carbon dioxide displaced every year - the same as planting 1.5 million trees
Our experts were fully integrated into the Shams 1 project team, and our services included:
- controlling the planning and progress measurement of the Shams 1 100MW CSP project by developing an overall project schedule based on the critical path method of scheduling.
- project controls, specifically schedule controlling as a basis for anti-claim management
- support of internal communication and coordination of the project team
- correspondence with the general contractor and documentation regarding scheduling
- evaluation of the progress on site and suggestion of acceleration measures
- assisting the project management team in the review of EPC contractor’s and other parties’ submitted plans, schedules and quantitative assessments of work planned or progressed.
- We also provided Senior Management information to ensure the quality and efficiency of the project plan to meet the objectives of optimised costs and minimised delays.