Controlling costs on Krakow renovation and construction project
Browar Lubicz Kraków is a 3-stage investment in Kraków, Poland. We acted as cost consultants on a project that includes renovation of historic buildings and their adaptation to ensure new functionality as well as construction of new residential, retail and commercial buildings.
- Kraków, Poland
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- Main services:
- Cost management
Browar Lubicz Kraków is a 3-stage investment situated on the premises of the former Browar Goetzów at Lubicz Street in Kraków, Poland.
The project includes renovation of historic buildings and their adaptation to ensure new functionality as well as construction of new residential/retail/commercial buildings.
The total area of the site is 22,411m2 and the building footprint is approx. 11,700m2. There will be a car park under the whole area of the site
Turner & Townsend was appointed as the cost consultant for stage 1 of the investment.
The scope of services provided by Turner & Townsend includes verification of costs, arrangement of the tender for the main contractor works and cost control throughout the execution of the investment.
Making the difference
- There are some specific risks associated with the historic nature of these buildings. This required a unique contract with the main contractor to mitigate potential risks.
- Using our data and experience we have established a cost level indicating possible alternative design solutions that precisely reflected tenders received from the market (to within 0.5 percent). This has enabled the scheme to attract funding and keep the programme on track.
- Inclusion of these alternative solutions and negotiations with tenderers has led to a 10 percent reduction in the investment's value as compared with the initial cost assumptions.
- Our claims management procedures helped our client to make significant savings in relation to initial value of the main contractor claims.
- In the recognition of the quality of our services we were appointed cost consultants also for stage 2 and 3 of the project.