Magnox - decommissioning nuclear sites in the UK
Overseeing a major decommissioning programme
Magnox Ltd is the management and operations contractor responsible for ten nuclear sites for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. To succeed in its accelerated programme (the Magnox Optimised Delivery Programme), it needed to be best in class in project management and project delivery.
Date started: 2012
Completion date: 2015
Client type: Power
Key services: Project management
Magnox Limited’s strategic objectives were:
- Maximising the value from the remaining generating site, and safely bring to an end over 50 years of Magnox electricity generation in the UK
- Increasing cost certainty and reduce risk exposure to the company through delivering the MODP programme and pioneer innovative and transformational solutions and ways of working to drive programme effectiveness and support a 'lead and learn' culture
- Achieving the progressive transformation of Magnox into a world class, high performing decommissioning organisation
Our overall objective was to support Magnox in accelerating the delivery of strategic programmes. We did this through effective knowledge transfer between sites and projects on sites, providing certainty of outcome within the programme through robust risk, cost and schedule management tactics, and supporting the development and education of the Magnox supply chain to enable delivery within the programmes.
- Providing project controls solutions in scheduling service, with the production of integrated and detailed project schedules as well as the provision of risk management, estimating and cost engineering services into strategic programmes
- Establishing a standard set of KPIs, service level agreement and a target price to compare operational performance to provide Magnox with a single point of accountability for driving an agenda of change within the business.
- Supporting the production of a standard competency assessment framework for Magnox staff, benchmarking against good practice and making sure those individuals understood how they compare to an industry leading organisation.