Supporting the delivery of the Capital Investment Plan through efficient programme scheduling
Irish Water was formed as a public utility in 2013 as a subsidiary of the Ervia Group and provides public water services to over 80% of the Irish Republic population. We were appointed to support the efficient delivery of the 2017-21 €2.4bln Capital Investment Plan.
Date started: 2017
Completion date: Ongoing
Client type: Utilities
Key services: Portfolio support services, scheduling and cost management.
Asset Delivery have put in place a Portfolio and Governance (P&G) support pillar to help align and drive a number interconnected initiatives:
- Project Schedulers - put in place a scheduling/planning capability, skilled in the use of Primavera P6
- Reporting - create tactical and board reports based on accurately updated data to be the “single version of the truth”
- Monthly Update Cycle - establish a consistent process to update P6, validate the data and produce reports for the board
- P6 Improvements - put in place fit for purpose templates that facilitate forecasting. Make technical updates and fixes to enhance the use of P6
- M. Handbook - establish a single end to end handbook for project management based on the monthly update cycle
- Cross Functional Portfolio Board - a forum for cross functional decision making. Seeks to address variances and monitor the plan for CIP deliver.
The provision and management of a programme scheduling team to support the Portfolio and Governance pillar with portfolio planning and scheduling expertise to provide detailed tactical and strategic level management information.
Each month the team produce and issue the Tactical Report (TR) that contains detailed spend profiles and gateway milestone data for over 3,000 projects with a value in excess €4.4bln covering a time frame spanning 11 years.
This report is the basis of “single version of the truth” for all Asset Delivery stakeholders – internally and externally.
Other contributions include:
- Subject matter experts in relation to system improvement and alignment to industry best practice
- Develop and roll out new ways of working and P6 templates
- Cleansing and archiving of existing project information within P6
- Maintenance of portfolio baseline controls
- Training and development in portfolio/programme management and forecasting
- 1.7 billion litres of water processed daily
- 1.6 million households and 200,00 businesses served nationwide
- 63,000 kilometers of water mains
- 32,000 kilometers of wastewater network
Making the Difference
- Innovative use of data analytics to highlight projects with poor monthly forecast accuracy and direct targeted improvements. This has resulted in a 30% monthly programme accuracy over the last 6 months
- Introduction of challenging improvement culture for process improvement that reduces the update cycle time
- Increase in the amount of contact time with the Regional Leads and Project Managers to explain the need for accurate updated data
- Development of the IT systems to create a data warehouse to significantly reduce the time taken to produce the Tactical Report. A process that currently takes 8 hours which will eventually take less than 2 hours
- €459 million capital expenditure
- €13 billion investment required to address current needs