iHub Derby - manufacturing focused innovation and technology park, Derby
Delivering an award-winning commercial development at Infinity Park
This exciting project delivered for Derby City Council is a flagship centre piece at the heart of Infinity Park; a new manufacturing focussed innovation and technology park awarded Enterprise Park status in the East Midlands.
Completion date: 2016
Client type: Technology and manufacturing
Key services: Procurement, project management, cost and commercial management
This prestigious and award-winning* scheme aims to expand on Derby’s reputation as a centre of industry and manufacturing excellence, while regenerating a previously unpopulated area. The development has allowed for start-ups, early stage businesses and high growth SME’s to use the cutting-edge facilities as a catalyst for growth, attracting new investments by providing bespoke, high-quality working environments for local businesses, in keeping with the city’s “planes, trains and automobiles” ethos.
Derby City Council’s proposal was to design and construct on The Innovation Campus, a ten-acre site owned by Rolls-Royce. The construction works are funded by the RGF and ERDF, in addition to the University of Derby and Derby City Council. The project has been developed in partnership with Aston University, Cranfield University and Rolls-Royce, and aims to encourage inward movement of hi-tech SME’s from the industrial and manufacturing industry to the Derby area.
Turner & Townsend provided a full management and design team to work with Derby City Council to procure the site and construct and deliver the iHub which acts as an environmental benchmark for all subsequent development at the enterprise park.
Making the difference
- Applying our unique knowledge and experience of ERDF and RGF funding to guide the client through the applicable processes.
- Our procurement expertise advised the adoption of a design competition procurement method to enable the scheme to fulfil the client’s design ambition while complying with EU procurement regulations.
- Our project management team ensured stakeholder considerations were prioritised throughout, assisting with the effective development of this complex venture.
- Constructed in coordination with a neighbouring road development, close liaison between adjacent project teams was maintained throughout the project in order to manage project and site-based issues.
- Our effective feasibility cost advice proved critical in managing expectations and setting the baseline throughout the project.
*East Midlands Property Awards 2017 “Design Excellence”.
* RICS East Midlands Awards 2017 – Winner – ‘Commercial’ category.