A flight path to success
To respond to an increase in traffic volumes, Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) is expanding its capacity to accommodate for the long-term.
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
HKIA is the busiest cargo gateway and one of the busiest passenger airports in the world. Traffic volumes at HKIA have been growing steadily, and in order to meet future air traffic growth, the airport must enhance its capacity. One such area is the provision of additional aircraft parking stands. Two new aprons are being created to the west of the Midfield Passenger Concourse.
Further, HKIA is fast approaching its maximum handling capacity. There is a pressing need to expand the airport to meet its long-term demand. The selected option to achieve this expansion is a three runway system which involves:
- formation of circa 650 hectares of land to the north of the existing airport island
- construction of a new runway, related taxiway systems and airfield infrastructure
- construction of a new passenger concourse
- expansion of the existing Terminal 2
- extension of the automated people mover system
- extension of the baggage handling system
- improvement of the road network in the passenger and cargo areas, as well as new landside transportation and car park facilities.
When completed HKIA will be able to handle a practical maximum capacity of over 600,000 flight movements per year.
“Turner & Townsend has built an impressive track record in the aviation sector, having supported many of the world’s largest and most complex airport programmes. The consultancy’s highly professional approach made them a key and strategic consultant for the planning of this project.” Tommy Leung General Manager, Projects, HK Airport Authority
We are providing planning, procurement and risk assessment consultancy services under AAHK’s Contract P150 and project control consultancy services under AAHK’s Contract 3107. In addition, we have recently been awarded the 3109A five-year framework contract covering procurement, contract management and NEC advisory services. Over 30 of our staff drawn from our local office and global pool of specialists are involved in the delivery of these contracts.
Programme and risk
- Developing a master programme plus a specific procurement programme and a cost implementation programme
- Define a project risk management process and risk management plan
- Draft a risk identification and risk assessment report (qualitative and quantitative) and a construction support and logistics report.
- Undertake local market sounding and global benchmarking exercises in relation to market capacity and capability as well as procurement strategies
- Develop the 3RS Project overall procurement strategy which covers tendering and contracting options, design strategy, consultancy services, works packaging strategy, early works and review of AAHK’s standard contracts
- Provide contractual advice in the procurement process of six reclamation contracts as part of AAHK’s integrated team. This involves the drafting and reviewing of tender documents and responding to tenderers’ and Government’s queries
- Review the authority’s existing procurement management procedures and recommend enhancements for the 3RS Project.
- Update AAHK’s set of project management manuals covering the management of cost, programme, design, construction, risk, and the like
- Develop a set of dashboards for the 3RS Project for consistent and efficient reporting to AAHK’s senior management team.
- Advise on the procurement, tendering and contracting strategy for the APM/BHS Tunnels on the Existing Island (Contract 3801) which adopted early contractor involvement (ECI) and target cost contracting using NEC3 ECC Option D as amended
- Advise AAHK’s procurement, contract and legal teams on the necessary amendments to the standard NEC3 ECC Option D terms and conditions for Contract 3801 in order to achieve AAHK’s objectives and commercial model
- Provide training sessions to the Third Runway Division’s senior and executive project management teams on the relevant NEC3 contract to be used for Contract 3801.
Making the difference
We rapidly mobilised the commission delivery team that seamlessly combines local knowledge with global discipline experts. This enables us to deliver the required outputs and in addition provide robust, evidenced support to the AAHK’s stakeholders.