Heathrow Airport expansion, London
Proud to have supported Heathrow for many years
Projections indicate capacity of the UK’s south-east region airports will be reached by 2040.
Date started: 2016
Completion date: Ongoing
The UK’s airports are vital for connectivity, trade, people movement and are a cornerstone for business. Projections indicate that capacity of the UK’s south-east region airports will be reached by 2040. To address this challenge, an independent Airports Commission was tasked with recommending solutions. In October 2016, the UK Government announced its support for the Airports Commission’s recommendation for a new runway at Heathrow Airport.
To ensure an expansion programme could be successfully delivered, Heathrow Airport appointed Turner & Townsend as one of four Programme Client Partners to provide strategic support for Heathrow’s airport expansion.
- 370,000 tonnes of steel required
- 2025 the first flights expected to take off from the new runway
- 10,000 up to 10,000 new apprenticeships targeted
Following our initial work on Heathrow’s expansion business case, we are now providing expansion cost and commercial management and development advisory. We have adopted an integrated and collaborative approach that will ensure the airport can expand on-time, on budget and to world-class standards. This includes:
- Providing innovative cost management to ensure the programme achieves its strict affordability targets. This is being achieved through complex cost estimate modelling and analysis to ensure Heathrow achieves the right balance and best outcome for their passengers, local community and the country as a whole.
- Leading the commercial property programme requirements which includes the relocation of major businesses to facilitate the delivery schedule, the acquisition of property interests and developing propositions for inclusion in the off airport masterplan.
Making the difference
Turner & Townsend are proud to have supported Heathrow over many years. This long-standing relationship in combination with our experience working on more than 20 airport projects globally enables us to provide truly innovative solutions.
Our multi-disciplinary team are fully integrated with Heathrow’s teams and stakeholders. Through adopting this unified approach and embedding a collaborative culture, we are ensuring that the expansion programme can be delivered in line with its business case to world-class standards.
"Turner & Townsend have worked with Heathrow for many years. Their on-the-ground knowledge combined with their extensive aviation experience enables them to bring innovative solutions and global best practice to Heathrow’s airport expansion programme."