Providing expert advice during the construction of a dynamic data centre
T-Systems International GmbH (TSI) is currently extending their existing data centre site in Biere with a second data centre, made up of three separate modules with partial basements, retaining wall, an office building and associated infrastructure.
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- Main services:
- Project controls with regards to costs, schedule, functionality, quality, risk mitigation, systems commissioning.
- 5,400 m² IT floor space
- 8 MW installed climate capacity
- Space for approximately 30,000 physical servers
TSI has contracted two Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) from Hannover Leasing to complete the design and build of the data centre, including all financing in those regards.
Both SPVS have subsequently subcontracted the execution of the project to two general contractors (design and build services).
Turner & Townsend provided pre-contract signature project controls services as well as performance monitoring and controlling during the construction phase on behalf of the Hannover Leasing SPVs. The following activities were undertaken:
- Monitoring against the project objectives
- Providing design validation
- On-site visits to assess design and construction progress including detailed target vs. actual comparison
- Quality controls
- Schedule controls including deviation analysis
- Cost management
- Change management
- Interface management
- Participation in systems start-up and hand-over
- Documentation controls
Making the difference
We represented the Hannover Leasing SPVs to perform an in depth assessment of the current project status with regards to costs, schedule, functionality, quality and early identification of risks and development of associated risk mitigation measures.
We reviewed the SPV’s professional and technical capabilities with regards to the design and construction and commissioning of the data centre. Hannover Leasing was continuously held up-to-date with regard to the current status of the project.