Horizon Properties - Generator hostel, Amsterdam
Helping to create a new defining standard in hostel accommodation
Currently expanding into The Netherlands and Amsterdam, Generator has converted an old and disused university building with monumental status on the edge of the Oosterpark into a 566-bed hostel.
Importantly for the hostel, the social spaces have been given strong consideration. The design includes a chill-out cafe and bar area in the old lecture auditorium hall (with a mezzanine level being inserted above), a basement bar and more than 160 bedrooms.
Date started: 2014
Completion date: 2016
Client type: Hotels and hospitality
Key services: Project management, cost and commercial management
- 566 bed hostel
- 160 bedrooms
Turner & Townsend was appointed to provide client representative services and project and cost Management on the development off the hostel, and to assist in several post-handover optimisations to increase operational capabilities. With early involvement we assisted throughout the life-span of the project and prior to actual construction.
Our guidance and advice during the pre-construction phase included:
- cost reviews and forecast plans
- advising on provisional sums and prime costs for future budgeting needs
- conducting feasibility studies and allowing recommendations to be made regarding BREEAM ratings.
During the construction phase Turner & Townsend had the following responsibilities.
- Monitored the developer’s costs and implemented a stringent reporting procedure; these monthly reports highlighted early any potential risks.
- Management of change control.
- Monitored site progress, advised on monthly payments and verified invoices.
- Support throughout the handover and completion phases.
After the handover Turner & Townsend assisted by delivering:
- project management services to improve the usability of the hostel for both staff and guests, in terms of accessibility, logistics and revenue.
- cost management services for the optimisations, including change control management and value engineering.
Making the difference
Our intimate knowledge of the local market and developer-led construction strategy, together with skills and experiences gained on other hospitality projects across the Netherlands and Europe, allows us to bring best practice to the development.
Through the reporting procedures that have been implemented we provide the client with a clear and concise dashboard to track progress on site easily. These monthly reports highlight any areas of concern early and allow corrective actions to be discussed.
We are also successfully removing all language barriers that the project may have caused for the UK-based client and financing.