Enhancing the guest experience at an iconic Dubai hotel
With a footprint the size of 64 Wembley football pitches, Atlantis, The Palm is one of the world’s most instantly recognisable resorts. Since 2015, the iconic, 46 hectare, 5-star resort has undergone the largest hotel refurbishment in the United Arab Emirates, all while remaining operational throughout. A major attraction and leisure resort in Dubai, Atlantis, The Palm is helping to realise the Dubai government’s ambition for the city to be a prime global tourist destination.
- Dubai, UAE
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- real estate
- Main services:
- project management, cost and commercial management, programme management
An extensive hospitality refurbishment programme
Since 2015, we have been supporting Atlantis, The Palm to execute a major and complex refurbishment programme.
To date, this has included:
- The multi-million upgrade to the resort’s 1,544 hotel rooms and suites
- The delivery of over 13 restaurant concepts, including the world-renowned Hakkasan restaurant, Wavehouse - the resort’s ultimate all-in-one entertainment hotspot, and En Fuego - a South American dining concept which opened at the resort in December 2022
- The construction of an on-site water filtration and bottling plant (which produces up to 800 litres of purified artisan water per hour)
- The multi-million expansion of Atlantis’ Aquaventure Waterpark, which now includes record-breaking attractions, and is considered the largest waterpark in the world
- The relocation of the cutting-edge Japanese restaurant, Nobu, to the prime location of the resort’s iconic archway, where the famous Royal Bridge Suite once sat.
We continue to support an ongoing programme of works at Atlantis, The Palm, including the planning and installation of a 2.5 megawatt on-grid solar power system, and the construction of an on-site reverse osmosis plant, a project geared towards optimising Atlantis, The Palm’s water consumption.
Crucially, all works to date have needed to happen seamlessly, without affecting the guest experience. With the exception of the height of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the iconic resort has maintained exceptionally high occupancy rates throughout each commission and has continued to offer impeccable service to guests.
A clear front-end strategy
Our integrated approach has made us a trusted advisor and an extension of the client’s team. During each commission, we nurtured a collaborative environment around a shared vision and ensured all stakeholders were actively engaged in a single project-based culture.
Putting the client’s outcomes at the centre, our involvement in the campus upgrade at the outset provided an opportunity to influence the design, procurement and delivery strategy stages of the programme of works.
By embedding a strong front-end strategy, we have successfully helped deliver multiple, award-winning venues, with minimum downtime, all within a fully operational environment.
Shawn Adams, Vice President Projects, Kerzner International Development, said:
Atlantis, The Palm is one of Dubai’s top tourist destinations and the refurbishment is a testament of our commitment to continue delivering amazing experiences and everlasting memories to our guests. Turner & Townsend has brought a wealth of experience and best practices, allowing us to progress with a refurbishment strategy whereby guest experience remains unaffected.