Setting a new benchmark for high-rise schools.
The redevelopment and expansion of Arthur Phillip High School and Parramatta Public School was planned to meet the growth in primary and secondary students in and around Sydney’s Parramatta region. Both schools were designed to incorporate flexible learning spaces, and deliver future-focused educational outcomes.
- Sydney, Australia
- Date started:
- Completion date:
- Client type:
- Main services:
- Cost and commercial management
Located in the west of Sydney, the redevelopment of Arthur Phillip High School accommodates 2,000 secondary students, and the Parramatta Public School accommodates 1,000 primary students.
The redevelopment and expansion created two schools where design, technology and pedagogy intersect to deliver future-focused educational outcomes to equip students with skills for the 21st century. The multi-storey schools offer unique benefits including:
- Readily accessible and flexible facilities to meet the demands of an evolving curriculum in line with innovative learning principles.
- Spaces that are engaging and supportive for students and teachers.
- Technology-rich settings with an emphasis on mobility and flexibility.
- Capacity to support comprehensive curriculum delivery with a full range of specialist teaching spaces.
- A healthy and environmentally sustainable environment.
- Innovative and connected outdoor spaces that enable play and collaborative learning.
- Refurbishment and adaptive reuse of all existing heritage buildings.
Fit for the future
Vertical high-rise schools will play a role in the future of education across the globe as cities become more densely populated. In Australia, they are changing the way in which students are educated by providing technology-rich interactive learning spaces. For example, vertical buildings allow for ground level playing fields and green open spaces for physical activities.
These schools are designed to inspire students to be leaders of their own learning and equip students with skills for the future.
We were appointed to cost manage the project from the international design competition and the procurement of the main contract through to the project completion. We used real-time cost reporting for this redevelopment, creating reports and dashboards for the delivery team with a snapshot of the project’s status throughout the construction journey.