Wave generating technology powers URBNSURF Melbourne
Next generation wave generating technology has been used to create perfect surfing waves at URBNSURF Melbourne, Australia’s first surf park located at Melbourne Airport.
URBNSURF’s two-hectare surfing lagoon, powered by technology developed by Spanish engineering firm, Wavegarden, delivers authentic surfing waves that can be customised for riders of all abilities in a safe, controlled environment.
The surf park adopted a utilitarian and sustainable design approach including using 18,000 tonnes of recycled concrete, making it the largest recycled concrete structure in Australia.
We were appointed by URBNSURF to project manage and act as superintendent.
Project Director Jason Veale said:
“Integral to the success of this state-of-the-art project was carefully managing several key stakeholders and the building process to deliver a world class surfing destination.
“Creating waves of the desired shape and height demanded a high level of construction accuracy for the lagoon and Wavegarden using wave generating technology. Attention to detail and a cohesive team environment was critical to the project’s overall success. In addition, our long-standing relationship with Melbourne Airport played a pivotal role to obtain the necessary approvals and clearances, enabling all work to be completed within the agreed timeframe.”
Complementing its two-hectare surfing lagoon, URBNSURF also features an on-site surf shop, surf rental centre offering a range of boards and wetsuits for hire, a Surf Academy for surf lessons and training, and lagoon-side amenities including hot tubs, day beds, kids’ playground, shipping container cabanas, and landscaped outdoor spaces.
Andrew Ross, Founder & Director at URBNSURF said:
“URBNSURF’s goal is to develop world-class urban surfing locations across Australia, to help everyone to surf more, from first-timers through to world champions. We chose Turner & Townsend as our project delivery partner given their expertise, relationship with Melbourne Airport and because it was clear they shared our vision to deliver a world-class surf park in Victoria.”
URBNSURF fast facts
- URBNSURF Melbourne is Australia's first surf park, and the first of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere.
- URBNSURF Melbourne is one of the first surf parks in the world to utilise Wavegarden’s next generation “Cove” technology.
- Within URBNSURF Melbourne’s crystal-clear, two-hectare surfing lagoon (similar in size to the Melbourne Cricket Ground), the surf park can produce perfect, ocean-like surfing waves, ranging between 0.5 metres to two metres in height.
- URBNSURF Melbourne’s surfing and surf lesson experiences are customised to suit all ages and abilities – from gentle, rolling whitewater waves for learners and beginners, through to steep, barrelling waves that will challenge even the most experienced surfers. With state-of-the-art sports lighting, the waves at URBNSURF Melbourne pump day and night, year-round.
- URBNSURF Melbourne is located just minutes from Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport and only 16 kilometres north of the Melbourne CBD.
- Complementing the surfing action, the innovative sports, leisure and entertainment venue will offer guests unique food, music, art and cultural experiences, lagoon-side amenities including hot tubs, day beds and a kids’ playground, and landscaped spaces.