WarnerMedia – Hudson Yards New HQ Development
Supporting the creative vision
As one of the world’s leading multimedia and entertainment companies, WarnerMedia set out to build a new corporate headquarters in the USA to reflect its global status and culture of creativity.
Location: New York
Completion date: Ongoing
Key services: Advisory Cost and commercial management Project management Procurement
- $2.3b Total
- $1.6b Core & shell
- $700m Interiors
To support its global brand, WarnerMedia evaluated its New York City real estate portfolio, which included seven buildings in Manhattan totalling 2m SF, housing more than 4,200 people. They decided to consolidate into a new New York headquarters building consisting of approximately 1.4m SF at Hudson Yards, as developed by Related/Oxford properties. The key objective was to avoid the anticipated cost increases while providing a great space for employees.
As a continuation from our successful advisory role during the due diligence phase, WarnerMedia appointed us as comprehensive project and cost manager for the 1.4m SF interior fit out, and to work directly with the WarnerMedia in-house real estate team. On behalf of WarnerMedia we were also appointed to monitor the work of the developer (Related) for the core and shell build out as well as the mission critical components of the new building.
The commission incorporated managing the procurement of the project team and acting as the owner’s representative from inception through completion of the project. From a cost management perspective, we developed a baseline budget, managed the development of the design in line with the budget, led the procurement phase and implemented appropriate project processes such as a strict change management process. In our role we continue to provide effective and customized financial reporting to the client, at frequent intervals, in order to highlight risks and opportunities.
Making the difference
Our goal is to deliver great outcomes, every time, everywhere for our clients. For WarnerMedia we continue to support them in their overall project objective. Some of the key achievements we’ve accomplished thus far on the project include the following:
- Leadership - taking accountability and driving the project forward acting as a single point of contact;
- Landlord and tenant relations - managed the handover requirements from the base building which included the condition of the floor prior to handover, early access, delivery conditions and overseeing TI punchlist items completed by the base-building team;
- Stakeholder management – challenging WarnerMedia and their stakeholders to provide them with best value solutions for their project as part of the design review process, prior to, and during the construction phase, while maintaining control of schedule.
- Procurement management - managed the procurement of both the consultant and the construction management teams for the interiors fit-out. In addition, assist with the coordination of Owner Direct Procurement inclusive of FF&E, Tel/Data and AV in line with TI Budget;
- System interfaces - coordination of BMS/CPMS and construction oversight by dealing with multiple stakeholders. CAPEX and OPEX saving achieved through the integration of these systems. Coordinated base building and TI Fitout works, as well as fire alarm systems, security and keying;
- People moves - supported the appointment of a move consultant in terms of scope definition. Subsequently, coordinating the migration to create an efficient migration process in order avoid further rental penalties by effective planning around TCO and costing exercises to amend TCO dates to provide an option for an earlier migration;
- Logistics - negotiation of hoist usage at dedicated times to allow for timely deliveries and mitigate labor.
Joel Brenner, AIA, Vice President of Global Project Management, WarnerMedia comments:
We have been working very closely with the Turner & Townsend project team. Their dedication and attentiveness has been invaluable to the process. We are very appreciative of their exemplary service and thrilled to have them by our side throughout the completion of this intricate project.