UAE Pavilion at Expo 2020, Dubai
‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future'
The UAE Pavilion, as the flagship Host Nation Pavilion, is located on a 15,064m2 Plot and is a key feature within the 438ha Expo 2020 site.
Date started: 2015
Completion date: 2020
The National Media Council is the custodian of the UAE Pavilion for the Dubai World Expo 2020 with Masdar acting as their programme managers.
Located facing the Al Wasl Plaza, which lies at the centre of the exhibition zone, the Santiago Calatrava designed UAE Pavilion – whose design is inspired by a falcon in flight – will showcase the UAE to the visitors and participants who are expected to visit the Expo from October 2020 to April 2021.
The focus of the Pavilion shall be the telling of the UAE story based on the wider Expo 2020 Dubai theme of ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’ and the sub-themes of ‘Sustainability, Mobility and Opportunity’.
Turner & Townsend were initially appointed to support the Programme Manager function in the evaluation, selection and appointment of the Design Consultant and later appointed as the Project Management Consultant (PMC).
The scope of our current appointment includes providing Project Management, Design Management, Cost Management, Schedule Management, Health, Safety, Environment, Welfare (HSEW) Services for the Design and Construction stages of the UAE Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai.
Turner & Townsend’s key responsibilities include interfacing with Expo 2020, the Client, Programme Manager, Design Consultants (including separate content designers), Construction Supervision Consultant, Main Works Contractor, and Content Installer.
The PMCs primary role is to lead, guide, coordinate and synchronize the professional inputs from various consultants and contractors. It also includes monitoring, controlling, solving problems, conflicts management and making decisions in order to achieve agreed milestones and project deliverables in terms of time cost and quality in order to ensure project success.
In alignment with the client’s objectives, Turner & Townsend;
- Contribute to minimising financial, programme and quality risks to the Client and meeting or bettering budget while maintaining the programme for completion by April 2020, ahead of Expo 2020 commencement.
- Liaise and cooperate with Expo 2020 over masterplan requirements, and in particular, logistics, safety and welfare assurance standards.
- Work cooperatively with the Design team and Contractor to avoid and mitigate risks to the project.
- Work with the Building Design Consultant to develop a highly sustainable project to be achieved through LEED Platinum certification.
- Contributed into the appointment of a reputable Contractor who will best deliver the project on time, on budget and to the high quality standards as required by the Client and Expo 2020.
- Manage the overall Project Budget, certifying payments and where necessary challenging submitted cost plans / estimates, variations, invoices and final accounts.
In addition to the above, Turner & Townsend have worked alongside Expo 2020 to develop and test their process and procedures, particularly those relating to Participant Countries. As the first Participant Pavilion on the site, the UAE Pavilion has been very much a test bed for the various procedures in terms of both lessons learnt and improvements.
Making the difference
- We deployed an efficient, multidisciplinary team to meet the challenges of working on a project of national importance.
- Our team has enabled the delivery of a complex iconic design to the agreed requirements identified by the client.
- We have worked with the Project Team to develop a bespoke Procurement Strategy which enabled the early engagement of a contractor to input into the design and offer suggestions on Constructability, Value Engineering, Programme and Health & Safety.
- We anticipate and assist in the avoidance of threats to the successful delivery of the project.
- We help engender collaboration and work satisfaction by the project team through stakeholder management.
- Through facilitation of clear communication and ongoing review of lessons learnt, we contribute to an outcome which vindicates the project goals and objectives.