National Renewable Energy Centre (Narec)
Supporting the development of the energy technologies of the future
The National Renewable Energy Centre (Narec) is a leading research and development platform for new, sustainable and renewable energy technologies.
Date started: 2010
Completion date: Ongoing
The three new facilities constructed - Fujin Wind Drivetrain test facility, Wind Turbine Blade test facility, and Nautilus Marine Drivetrain test facility - will test present and future design developments in renewable energy generation and are intended to cater for generation development for 20 years.
The three new test facilities require infrastructure improvements such as quay strengthening and routes for the loading and passage of large test pieces.
Turner & Townsend was appointed CDM Coordinator for the project. In addition, the client recognised the benefits of our wider, enhanced approach to meeting effective CDM Health and Safety objectives. Our services included:
- Engaging with the contractor to develop and implement a programme of Site Safety Inspections that promote H&S performance improvement.
- Facilitating a programme of HAZID / HAZOP workshops of the design / operation of the three test rigs.
- Providing CDM Designer training to the Narec team designing the control systems
- Facilitating the development of Narec in-house design risk management processes.
- Developing the Site Waste Management Plan and undertaking surveillance of contractor implementation.
Turner & Townsend have consistently and professionally represented Narec's interests during the development and implementation phases of the project.Tony Quinn Operations Director, National Renewable Energy Centre