Microsoft headquarters Munich
Delivering 'office of the future'
Microsoft's new headquarters in Munich are part of the tech giant’s European strategy to create state-of-the-art workplaces for its employees.
Date started: 2012
Completion date: 2016
Due to their current lease expiring in 2016, Microsoft planned to move their German headquarter from Unterschleißheim in the North of Munich to ‘Parkstadt Schwabing’, which is located closer to the centre of Munich.
A new state of the art office has been created on 26,000m² floor space. The new office has 1,100 unassigned workplaces which follow the developed innovative working concept ‘work-life-flow’, multiple areas for formal and informal meetings, share and discussion zones, several outside terraces, and a ‘digital eatery’, i.e. a publicly accessible café. A highlight of the building is the atrium, an open area with large LED displays hanging from the ceiling (the biggest interactive displays in Europe), showing the buzz within the Microsoft Office World, but also making events a unique experience.
As part of our global framework agreement for project management and cost management services, Microsoft appointed us to provide the following services:
- Feasibility studies for different real estate options
- Due Diligence on the preferred site option
- Project management of the entire project lifecycle
- Management of the Microsoft design team
- Key interface with the landlord’s project team and contractors to develop Microsoft’s requirements with transition into the ‘Lease Contract’
- Cost management, including establishment and monitoring of cost plans, value engineering and change control process supporting decision-making in relation to the design requirements and the client’s budget
- Procurement of the design team and for MS direct works such as furniture, fixed installations, cabling and kitchen equipment
- Identification of potential risks and outline of possible mitigations
- Move management for the relocation to the new premises.
Making the difference
The new Microsoft headquarter was successfully completed in September 2016, within time and budget.
By managing a multidisciplinary and international team, we achieved the optimum solution for Microsoft to implement their vision of the ‘Office of the Future’, as well as meeting their budget, programme, accommodation and global guidelines.