Maple Leaf Foods - new build, Hamilton
Supporting a flagship project for Canada's largest food processor
Maple Leaf Foods (MLF), is Canada’s largest food processor, is implementing significant changes in its prepared meats business to reduce operating costs and increase productivity, including investment of approximately $560m in infrastructure and technologies over three years to establish a world-class prepared meats network. These changes, combined with other strategic value creation initiatives, are expected to significantly increase MLF’s competitiveness and profitability in the near and longer term.
Date started: 2012
Completion date: 2014
Key services: Cost and commercial management, project management
About the project
Project new build – Hamilton is the flagship element of this investment – comprising the construction of a new $394m state-of-the-art meat processing plant in Hamilton, Ontario, which will be the largest and most technologically advanced plant of its kind in Canada and competitive with the best in its class in North America. Construction began in March 2012, with commissioning to be completed in September 2014.
Making the difference
Through our broad range of expertise, we are able to bring the right specialist skills and knowledge to bear on the variety of challenges that occur throughout this unique project – including local supply chain and construction practices, procurement advice, cost estimating and control, and scheduling capabilities.
We are supporting MLF across a range of aspects, including:
- independent cost estimating at work package and project levels, and proactive management of the budget
- independently reviewing potential construction changes and contractors’ payment applications, to control project costs
- payment certification: independent review of applications for payment, verification of work in place with site visits, preparation of monthly payment certificates and certificate of substantial performance
- development of the project schedule; coordinating key aspects such as design, permitting, building and process procurement, construction and process equipment installation and commissioning – to enable phased occupancy and production startup
- ongoing schedule management, including weekly updates from multiple parties – enabling executive management to monitor the project to a schedule that they can trust, and enabling the project team to better manage the project
- managing the construction change process – providing independent assessment of cost and schedule impacts, and independent reporting to executive management. Ongoing monitoring of project changes and issuance of change orders/change directives
- specialist mechanical and electrical project and cost management capabilities, including the ability to challenge the design, identifying improvements, solving problems and seeking efficiencies for MLF throughout the project