Glencore - Tweefontein
Setting up for success on the Tweefontein Optimisation Project
Glencore Operations’ Tweefontein Optimisation Project in South Africa is a case in point. The programme, which will extend the life of the mine with new open-cut pits, a new coal-handling plant and supporting rail infrastructure.
Completion date: Ongoing
- £500m cost of project
- 7.9 million tonnes of planned annual production of saleable thermal coal
- 8 year relationship with Glencore
With volatility in commodity prices and the need to preserve cash, the efficiency of capital spend continues to be a major focus in mine developments. To that end, speed of product to market must be balanced with tight adherence to project scope and cost.
We supported the Tweefontein Optimisation Project owner’s team in the pre-implementation phase with cost estimation, and in developing a contracting strategy for the execution phase of the programme.
Making the difference
- Our flexible, multidisciplinary team was mobilised early in the project to provide a detailed analysis of procurement options, leading to the allocation of work packages according to risk mitigation and best financial benefit
- Project controls resources assisted with the compilation of the project execution documentation necessary for the final approval of the project to proceed into the execution phase
- Continuous service: we are providing quantity surveying and contract administration services into the construction phase
Turner & Townsend is an organisation that understands our project controls environment and has delivered related services according to our needs and expectations - from the senior levels right down to the delivery team.Riaan du Plooy, Projects Director Glencore Operations SA